A clean roof will give your home a new look and can increase curb appeal. You should always inspect your roof before you sell or buy a house.
Roofs that are regularly maintained and cleaned will last longer and be a better investment.
Tips from Texas Star Experts on Cleaning Your Roof
Do-it-yourself jobs are usually easier said than done. These steps will help you clean your roof and increase your home’s value. You can also be safer.
- Make the Cleaning Agent. – Take the bleach, hotwater, and roof cleaner into a bowl. Once the detergent granules are dissolved, you can use the mixture to spray your garden or pressure washer.
- Test the Cleaning agent – Once you are safely on the roof, position yourself with the sprayer to spray a section of about three by ten feet across. Allow the cleaner to sit for approximately 15 minutes before returning to that area.
- Clean the Roof – After cleaning each section with the cleaning agents, let it sit for approximately 10 minutes. Once the cleaning agent is sat for a while, scrub the area with a broom. You should get rid of any algae or other substances that may be on the roof.
- Keep the roof wet as you scrub – Even if your work is complete, it’s a good idea to keep the areas you’ve already cleaned damp to prevent substances from leaking from the tiles below.
- Rinse – It is recommended to rinse the areas as you go. You can wait to rinse the entire roof or section before you start rinsing. Rinse with only clean water. No bleach or detergent should be used.
Roof Cleaning Tips
- Roof cleaning is dependent on the weather and the time of day. It is important to clean your roof when it is cloudy, cool, and humid. This will prevent the cleaner from drying too quickly.
- Start at the bottom, and work your way upwards. Start at the bottom and work your way up. This could cause you, or someone close to you, to slip and fall. You should be cautious about falling from a roof.
- You might damage the brush you used to scrub the roof. It is not recommended to use the brush indoors.
After cleaning your roof, it is possible to continue the process on outdoor buildings with shingles or another roofing material.
Roof washing can extend your roof’s life and reduce maintenance costs. You, like many homeowners, love the idea that your roof is virtually maintenance-free. KCG Roofing And Carpentry professionals recommend a roof cleaning every one to three year.
It is crucial to use a low pressure sprayer when washing your roof. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. After soaking the roof cleaner for the required time, rinse off the cleaner with water. You can scrub off any remaining mildew or stains with pressured water.
There are many things that can get caught in your gutters. After you clean your roof, the gunk will build up in your gutters. You should take the time to remove all debris. You can remove larger items by hand and rinse off the smaller ones with your hose.
This post was written by a roofing professional at KCG Roofing. KCG Roofing is a premier roofing contractor that does roof repair in Sarasota! KCG Roofing has the experience and expertise to replace or repair your roof with quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. All our roofs are backed by a 15-year leak-free guarantee, the highest in the industry. We have been family-owned and operated for over 40 years.